HOW SHOULD ESPADRILLES BE CLEANED AND PRESERVED?
Who does not have esparto shoes ! … It is rare to find a woman who does not have at least one pair of these shoes at home. And it is that you can wear them with jeans as well as with a long or short summer dress and they look great. Nobody does without them and they have become a must have in any wardrobe.
But... How can we preserve and clean them so that they look like new?
The first rule is not to wash them in the washing machine, since humidity is a natural enemy of an element as organic as esparto grass, which in the end ends up rotting and spoiling. However, it can be cleaned. Let's do it!
- The first thing we are going to do is brush the exterior well with a soft brush to remove all the dust.
- To clean the esparto grass , sprinkle baking soda all over the area and, after waiting a few minutes, brush well to remove it. You will see how the dirt disappears almost by magic.
- For leather espadrilles: it is best to apply a colorless cream and polish it. If it has a buckle, simply wipe it with a cloth to remove the dust.
- For cloth espadrilles: the easiest and most effective is to mix a little water with ammonia or neutral soap. Moisten a sponge or cloth in this solution and gently wipe the fabric of the espadrilles without soaking them. Also to clean the interior.
- To clean grease or food stains from our espadrilles, it is best to put a little talcum powder and let it act to absorb the grease. Then brush to remove the talc and the dirt will go away with the brushing.
- If there are dark marks on your espadrilles and after having cleaned them they do not disappear, use a white eraser of a lifetime and use it directly on the stain on the esparto shoe.
And finally to dry! Put some newspaper inside , they will absorb moisture and prevent them from deforming. A piece of advice to keep in mind, whenever you are preparing to dry your esparto shoes, do not do so by exposing them directly to the sun. Simply leaving them outdoors , but without the sun falling directly on them, they will be perfect and ready to use again. Also, and no less important, try to store them in a box, with enough space so that the esparto grass is not trapped and, consequently, deformed.
As always, at Fabiolas we want to make your life easier through our useful tips on cleaning. Now you will have no excuses to show off your espadrilles as if it were the first day.